SHARPENING SKILLS FOR SUCCESS

Drew Griess

Headshot photo of Drew Griess.

DREW GRIESS

COLLEGE OF INFORMATION SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

Cyber Security Major

Drew came to UNO from the Community College of the Air Force, where he attended while serving, and actively served in the Air Force National Guard as a Staff Sergeant during his UNO journey. He recalls, "I used the writing center all the time. It really helped me be successful. I also liked how helpful the Office of Military and Veteran Services were when it came to understanding and using my military benefits - I am in the Air Force National Guard as a Staff Sergeant."

Quote from Drew Griess: "I used the writing center all the time. It really helped me be successful."

Getting involved on campus is a great way to find like-minded people. In Drew's case, a cybersecurity competition for high schoolers was the perfect chance. "I helped with the HSCTF (High School Capture the Flag) competition in 2018. I helped with challenges, setup, and general management. I was the vice president at the time, so I was more there to help manage the volunteers that were willing to give their time to staff this awesome event. It showed me how much I enjoyed helping young people find their way in cybersecurity. I attended this competition as a high schooler back when I was at Millard West and it’s the reason I came to UNO. I am glad I got to potentially provide that same experience and motivation to high schoolers."

In his time with UNO, Drew loved living on campus and how he was able to meet so many people as he steps into working in public service roles where he can pay the support he received forward. "I loved living on campus at UNO. I met a bunch of people in the dorms that I now call my best friends. The rooms themselves were really nice compared to other colleges, they were very conducive to a positive learning environment while still giving the fun college experience I was looking for."

Quote by Drew Griess: "The rooms themselves were really nice compared to other colleges, they were very conducive to a positive learning environment while still giving the fun college experience I was looking for."

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date