OUTSIDE THE COMFORT ZONE

Filo Habib

University of Nebraska at Omaha senior Filo Habib in a red polo shirt with black background

FILO HABIB

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

CBA Scholars Academy

When Filo Habib was deciding which college or university to attend, he didn’t have to look too far from home.  

Habib’s family is originally from Assiut, Egypt, but the College of Business Administration (CBA) rising senior was raised just a few miles down the interstate, in Waverly, Neb. 

"I chose to come to UNO because I knew that this school could help me accomplish my goals and give me the college experience I was looking for."

Filo Habib, CBA Scholars Academy

“I chose to come to UNO because I knew that this school could help me accomplish my goals and give me the college experience I was looking for. I wanted a diverse school that was close to home and has connections with several Fortune 500 companies. Additionally, the scholarships and programs offered by the CBA Scholars Academy were unmatched at other schools,” Habib said. “It has been an amazing experience so far. I have met many of my best friends in the program and have had many professional doors opened as well.”

One door that the Scholars Academy helped to open for Habib was his summer internship. Habib landed a highly selective internship with Capital One Financial in Washington, D.C. as an Associate Relations Intern. 

“This internship has a heavy emphasis on employment law and human resources, my role is centered around predictive systems and data analytics. I am on a product development team that is creating tools to be critically used by the broader Associate Relations, HR, and legal teams. The Capital One HRIP is a cohort-based summer internship that includes mentoring, project work, and several cool events throughout the summer. They only selected 18 of us from across the nation. So far it has been an amazing experience learning and growing,” Habib said. 

Habib has thoroughly enjoyed his time in the nation’s capital. As a self-described history and government buff, he has enjoyed being close to the monuments and museums. He also encourages his fellow Mavericks to apply for internship experiences like this one, even though it may be outside of their comfort zones. 

“There is something to be said about going out and getting summer opportunities away from home or college. While Omaha is an amazing community, I encourage everyone to shoot for an internship away for at least one of their summers. Many companies will cover/assist with housing and transportation. There's an abundance of opportunities out there and a summer internship is a great way to explore a new city for a limited time,” he said. 

Habib will graduate in May with three concentrations in Legal Studies, Management, and HR Management. When he graduates, he wants to go to law school.

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date