X Menu

Professional Development Blog

6 Tips for Working Virtually

Posted by Beth Giesbrecht on Apr 30, 2020 01:38:38 PM

Beth Giesbrecht

I recently delivered a webinar called “6 Tips for Working Virtually.” Many of you joined it – if so, you’re forgiven for not 

Project-Management-April_1600x900

reading this newsletter. I’m going to recap it for those of you who couldn’t make the webinar.

I’ve had the privilege of working virtually on and off for over 30 years. I really do count it as a privilege. I’ve learned some things that make it not only bearable but productive for me. I’d like to share a few with you.

1. Routine

Have a set bed and rise time. Shower, brush your teeth and get dressed as usual. I will admit that I dress much more casually when I’m working virtually than when I go into the office. Avoid sweatpants – they allow you to hit the refrigerator too often.  I also cut way back on the make up.

Get a good desk chair. Office Depot will deliver. Use the money you’re saving in gas. Set up an office for yourself. Have a window in it if possible. I also like to have an alternate place to read, but then reading is part of my job. 

I usually work 8:00 to 4:30 with a 30 minute lunch break now. But when my three kids were little, I worked during their nap times and after their bed time. It can be flexible like that, but try to keep it consistent.

2. Pomodoro

You can google this for more information, but a pomodoro is a 25 minute segment of time where you commit to concentrate on one thing – no multi-tasking. After the 25 minutes are up (set a timer), take a 5 minute break. Step outside, do some yoga. The idea is to recharge your energy level. If more than one person is working virtually in your house, get on the same schedule to chat on your breaks.

3. Careful emails

Even before this work-at-home mandate, I felt we try to do too much with e-mail. Now it’s worse. If you need two-way communication, arrange a phone call or a quick Zoom meeting. If you need to write an email, watch for emotional content. If you write “Let’s talk” the recipient may think the worst – they’re in trouble, they’ve done something to offend you, etc. If you meant “These are good suggestions. Let’s discuss how to work them into the draft,” then say that.

4. Check in

My husband found this on a Facebook post: “Introverts: quit reading and call an extrovert colleague. No, they’re NOT ok.” As an introvert, I’m alright if I don’t have a lot of interaction during the day. Others are not. Give them a call.

5. Exercise

Take some breaks to exercise. I take my little dog for short walks – she’s going to be very disappointed when I’m gone again. Google Yoga at your desk. Even deep breathing and meditating will help. My daughter made herself a treadmill desk.

6. Shut down

Your brain will benefit from a signal that tells it, “Work is over!” 

Cal Newport, author of Deep Work, ends each day by transcribing any loose notes into a master task list, shutting his computer, and then saying the phrase, “Schedule shutdown, complete.” 

“Here’s my rule,” he writes. “After I’ve uttered the magic phrase, if a work-related worry pops to mind, I always answer it with the following thought process: ‘I said the termination phrase.’”

I hope this helps you get the most out of our strange situation. I’m grateful that I have a job where at least part of it can be done remotely. What can you be grateful for?