DEFYING THE DISTANCE

Ana Ortiz

Headshot photo of Ana Ortiz.

ANA ORTIZ

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND HUMAN SCIENCES

Library Science Major / Nonprofit Management Minor

Grand Prairie, Texas, is a Dallas suburb that is a 10-hour drive or a two-hour flight from Omaha. It’s where Ana Ortiz – a native of Monterrey, Mexico – calls home as she pursues her UNO Library Science degree with a minor in nonprofit management.

When you ask Ortiz what her academic experience was like, you almost can’t tell she pursued her academic journey online a day’s trip from the university where she is about to earn her degree from.

Quote by Ana Ortiz: "I had so many networking opportunities despite being remote."

"I had so many networking opportunities despite being remote," Ortiz said. "We had the chance to speak directly with people in the field and with leaders who were willing to share their knowledge and wisdom. I feel like the content we were taught was current and relevant and the professors took great care to present it against real life scenarios."

There are dozens of colleges and universities in the state of Texas, so how did she land on an online program in Nebraska? The answer: a reputation as one of the top online library science degree programs in the country and an enthusiasm for the online experience that leapt off her screen.

"I began researching online for a school that would offer a quality, remote, well-priced program and UNO came up as one of the top three options for library science," she said. "Every review praised the level of access for remote students provided by the staff and emphasizes the affordability of the degrees offered."

Although Ortiz may not have had the same in-person interactions as some of her Maverick peers, the nearly 700-mile gap between her and the Maverick Spirit on campus didn’t seem far at all.

Quote by Ana Ortiz: "I cannot say enough of how well thought out and top quality of an education I have received."

"I have absolutely loved my online experience with UNO," she said. "The Library Science program staff has made sure to make us feel as a cohesive unit, with guest speakers, monthly meetings, and ongoing conversation. I cannot say enough of how well thought out and top quality of an education I have received."

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date