A HOME ON-CAMPUS

Alexis Saxton

Headshot of Alexis Saxton

ALEXIS SAXTON

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND HUMAN SCIENCES

Special Education Major

Whether it’s your first year or your last year, if you’re living on campus or off, you understand the daunting feeling that can come with moving into a new place.

Alexis Saxton, a senior studying special education at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO), is no stranger to these feelings. Saxton transferred to UNO from a community college in search of a more traditional college experience and a jump out of her comfort zone.

"There's so many clubs that you can join on campus that are open to new people, and new ideas, and different kinds of religions, races, sexualities, and it's something that I knew I wanted coming from a small town where that wasn’t as prevalent.”

— Alexis Saxton

“I chose UNO because for me it meant more opportunities and more diversity. I knew that I needed to get out of my small town box, and I was excited about it. I was ready to be in a more diverse and welcoming environment,” said Saxton, “There's so many clubs that you can join on campus that are open to new people, and new ideas, and different kinds of religions, races, sexualities, and it's something that I knew I wanted coming from a small town where that wasn’t as prevalent.”

Alexis Saxton doing homework at a desk in her dorm room.

Excited and nervous, Saxton began her journey at UNO. Looking to expand her network and immerse herself in Omaha, Saxton chose to live on campus. The university’s unique apartment-style housing  gave her the opportunity to experience living on campus, while still providing her with her own space and privacy.

Being in a new city, on a new campus, surrounded by completely new people, Saxton began to struggle with feelings of loneliness. After trying out several different clubs and organizations on campus, she felt as though she didn’t have a home away from home on campus. That was until a friend and roommate of hers convinced her to attend a Resident Hall Association (RHA) introductory meeting.

The Residence Hall Association is the governing body for the residential population of university housing. As an organization, RHA ensures that students have a voice in important decisions being made regarding housing and serves as an additional resource on campus. They also provide residents with additional resources and activities, such as connecting students with mental health support on campus and hosting events.

Almost instantly, Saxton felt as though she had finally found where she belonged.

“I know that my team members care about me on a personal level, they care about my mental health. They care about and value the work that I do.”

— Alexis Saxton

“One of the best parts about being in RHA is the fact that it made me feel so connected to a community when I didn’t beforehand,” said Saxton. “I know that my team members care about me on a personal level, they care about my mental health. They care about and value the work that I do.”

Now the president of RHA, Saxton is committed to making sure every student that lives in the UNO residence halls feel like they are at home on campus and ensuring that they have the knowledge necessary to access resources.

Since becoming involved with RHA, Saxton has taken part in several activities centered around engaging with students. With her team, she has organized everything from a resident self-care night to a building-wide game night. She also oversees the organization’s “Initiative Committee” which focuses on improving the quality of living on campus through things like parking garage clean-up's to increasing the number of supplies offered for students to borrow from the housing office.

“There are so many resources and opportunities out there for residents, and a lot of people don’t know about them. I didn’t know they existed until I became an RHA,” said Saxton, “Now that I do know, I know that whatever happens, there is someone that has my back. I don’t feel like I’m alone, or like I’m in a dorm with strangers above and below me. I know most of the people around me, and I talk to them almost every day. The support I’ve received is by far the most important part, and my favorite part, of being an RHA.”  

Alexis Saxton posing for a photo in her dorm room.

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date