UNMATCHED SUPPORT

Amy Lopez Hernandez

Amy Lopez Hernandez

AMY LOPEZ HERNANDEZ

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND HUMAN SCIENCES

Secondary Education

From a small town southeast of Lincoln, Amy Lopez Hernandez decided she would be a Maverick at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) after experiencing the classroom and campus setting during her senior year of high school. 

While taking an advanced placement Spanish course, she had the opportunity to sit in on a Spanish course on UNO’s campus. “[The professor] allowed us to participate with the materials and I remember really liking it,” she said. “You could tell the professor knew her students and actually knew their names…UNO just felt like home when I was on campus that day and I knew I wanted to stay there.” 

In her time as a student at UNO, Amy would truly experience a culture of support. She encountered financial difficulties, sometimes choosing between buying everyday essentials or putting gas in her car to drive to her practicum site.  

“Growing up, you want to achieve the most that you can, and especially having immigrant parents, you want to achieve what they weren’t able to achieve, so thinking that my dream was going to end was rough,” she said. 

The university’s Student Hardship Fund, scholarships, and even generous support from individual faculty members gave her the help she needed to remain enrolled and working toward her degree.  

“I don’t really think I would have gotten that kind of help or support from any other campus. It’s just been a whole lot more than I expected with my professors and having a university that cares more about you as an individual than a number.”  

— Amy Lopez Hernandez, secondary education major

She was also supported by her fellow students. Upon arriving on campus, Amy immersed herself in organizations and activities, much like she did in high school. She joined the organizations such as the Freshman Leadership Council through Student Government, Maverick Productions, the Teacher Education Diversity Organization, Greek Life, and served as student body vice president. 

These organizations provided great learning experiences while helping her build relationships across campus. Some of her sorority sisters will even be by her side as bridesmaids in her upcoming wedding.  

“Being involved really helped me get adjusted to what college life is like and what my adult life will be like,” she said. “It helped me make connections and network, learn about resources that helps myself and others, and meet people to have fun with and make memories with.” 

Amy graduated in May 2023 and plans to begin teaching Spanish at Buena Vista High School in the fall.  

Amy Lopez Hernandez is a trailblazer. From her first experience with UNO as a high school senior sitting in on a Spanish course all the way through her recent graduation, she seized every opportunity to engage with the campus community despite any obstacles that life presented. Overcoming financial hardships and fueled by unwavering support from the university's Student Hardship Fund and compassionate faculty, Amy flourished academically and personally. Her vibrant college experience defined by her involvement in a wide array of organizations and activities prepared her for the road ahead as a high school Spanish teacher. 

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date