NEW DREAMS TURNED REALITY

Marina Hand

Marina Hand

MARINA HAND

BACHELOR OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY STUDIES

December 2022 Graduate

Why did you choose UNO and the BMS program? Were there any specific events that transpired in your life to lead you the BMS program?

After 4 years of trying and failing to become an RN, I was forced to reconsider my educational and professional goals. If I could do anything, or be anywhere in the world, where would I go? The Library. I was lucky enough to live near the only Junior College in the region that offered an Associate Degree in Library Technology and I was hooked. I obtained my degree in a year and a half.

Choosing UNO for my Undergrad was a combination of research and luck. I wanted to be a Librarian; I didn’t want to be “distracted” by an Undergrad in English or History. I didn’t want to dig myself into debt pursuing my education goals, or work in a public or school library, and I needed flexibility. I was a full-time benefited union employee, and the sole breadwinner of my household. I needed to be able to work, take care of my disabled partner (who was in a competitive STEM program,) and focus on library work.

Though there were other Universities that offered an Undergrad for Libraries, they were paired with Education Certifications, or, they required in-person attendance. I lived in Southern California at the time, relocating to another state was completely impossible. UNO offered a track for Librarianship separate from K-12 instruction, and offered the ability to attend completely remotely. It became my dream school overnight.

"My experience with the program has been extraordinary. My classes have been engaging, and challenging in ways I had never considered."

What has been your overall experience in the program?

My experience with the program has been extraordinary. My classes have been engaging, and challenging in ways I had never considered. I appreciate that the program draws from student experiences, and the expected curriculum, folding in educational goals from other departments. For example: in examining library collections for Young Adults, we are examining the biological development and emotional intelligence of young adults in the United States based on case study data. Since most students will have taken Biology and Intro to Psychology, these are concepts we are familiar with and are tapping into to create Whole Librarianship. It’s been extraordinary.

Explain the support you have received during your time in the program?

I have to give a huge shout out and massive credit to both Erica Rose, and Kerry Fina.

Kerry has been my academic advisor since Day 1, and from our first meeting I felt as if he was genuinely invested in me as a student. He took the time to listen to my goals and aspirations, and helped me tailor an education plan to match.

Erica Rose is the chief instructor for the BMS Library Science Program, and has been both mentor and friend. She met with me before I was a student at UNO, she was kind enough to audit my Junior College transcripts to find out if UNO was even a good fit for me! She helped guide me through my practicum, she acted as recommendation for my first library job (which ironically is at the UNO Campus!), and has been a perpetual cheerleader in my corner.

On a personal level: my partner has been an exceptional support system. When we realized staying in Southern California was no longer in the best interest of our family he agreed to follow my dreams to Omaha. While I’ve been juggling work and school, he’s found innovative and incredible ways to support me at home. I couldn’t have finished my Undergrad without his support.

Did you receive any financial aid such as grants or scholarships? If yes, please explain.

The nature of my partner’s disability makes him eligible for 100% Veterans Disability, coupled with my Employee Scholarship, I am able to attend UNO at little or no cost to me.

What are your goals after graduating? How has the BMS program prepared you for those goals?

Now that I’ve had an opportunity to expand academically, I’ve fallen in love with Anthropology. After my Undergrad I will obtain my MLIS, and then obtain a Masters Degree in Anthropology. My hope is to become an Anthropology Professor and Subject Specialist.

The cherry on the sundae would be to teach remotely to my Junior College as an adjunct.

"It’s never too late. Never too late to live your dream, or achieve your goals. Even if that dream is just getting the stinking degree and staying put. Do it for yourself. You deserve it."What would you tell someone who is considering finishing their degree but hasn’t taken the next step?

I say it all the time to my friends, and say it to anyone who asks me: one class at a time. Committing to college is hard, especially as a non-traditional student. Most people have children and a million other legitimate things going on in their lives that makes it hard. One. Class. At. A. Time. So the next time they look back five years from now they’ll be thinking: “Oh my god, I can’t believe I’m halfway done.” Or: “Oh my god, I can’t believe I finally finished.” Instead of: “If I would have done even one class a semester, I’d be so much closer now. And now it’s too late.” It’s never too late. Never too late to live your dream, or achieve your goals. Even if that dream is just getting the stinking degree and staying put. Do it for yourself. You deserve it.

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date