MOTIVATED DESPITE THE OBSTACLES

Rachel Fox

Rachel Fox

RACHEL FOX

BACHELOR OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY STUDIES

December 2019 Graduate

Why did you choose UNO and the BMS program?
My motivation for choosing this path was a strong desire to finish what I had started. I knew the traditional path was not for me. It was obvious that I couldn't take time away from work to attend a class as if I was fresh out of high school.

Were there any specific events that transpired in your life to lead you the BMS program?
I was working for a company and found myself at a crossroads. The lack of a degree is preventing me from being promoted or getting a raise. It is regrettable that that happened to me, but it motivated me to return to school. My qualifications were excellent for the job I was doing, but I didn't want to wander around with that "unfinished business" hanging over my head. As someone who believes in lifelong learning, all that I needed was a way to take classes that would allow me to also work full-time.

"As someone who believes in lifelong learning, all that I needed was a way to take classes that would allow me to also work full-time."

Explain the support you received while finishing your degree?
It is impossible for me to explain the abundance of support I received from the BMS program. By taking my goals and mapping out a course for me to follow, they really helped me succeed. They really went above and beyond for me when my daughter fell ill. My professors were so understanding and encouraged me to keep going.

Did it contribute to your success?
Unquestionably. Had it not been for the BMS program, I never would have crossed that stage. I'm grateful for Christine, Ron, Neil, the Ambassador program, and everyone involved. They helped me make it happen.

What was the most difficult part about going back and how did you overcome it?
Having to overcome my fears was the most challenging part for me. Being afraid I might not succeed. Being afraid that I was too old to succeed. Being afraid that I would never get my degree. My advisors showed me in color as I faced that fear what my future would look like and my options. I was reassured that I was not the only one, and the Ambassador program really enabled me to become a part of a community I counted myself as a member of. It turns out that many of us are choosing alternative paths.

Where are you now and how did the BMS program help you achieve your goals?
I work as a senior manager of Learning and Development in the FinTech industry. This spring, I will receive my Masters’s in Organizational Leadership. Additionally, I have a small business and a nonprofit organization. It is imperative we provide more support to working parents, those who decided to take another path, or those who are looking at other options. I have been able to do that through the BMS program. I was able to realize my dream of completing my degree without the limitations of the traditional classroom.

"It is imperative we provide more support to working parents, those who decided to take another path, or those who are looking at other options. I have been able to do that through the BMS program."

What would you tell someone who is considering finishing their degree but hasn’t taken the next step?
I would ask what is holding them back. UNO and its mission to enable others to gain higher education are trustworthy. Self-limiting beliefs about being unable to do something are the only ones preventing us from achieving our goals. I know this to be true from personal experience. Even with the hurdles that I had to overcome, including domestic violence, financial hardships, and a sick child, I believe you can graduate. Register because you owe it to yourself to complete your education.

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date