MOTIVATED TO MOVE FORWARD

Travis Vo

Travis Vo

TRAVIS VO

BACHELOR OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY STUDIES

May 2022 Graduate

Why did you choose UNO and the BMS program? Were there any specific events that transpired in your life to lead you the BMS program?
In March 2020, during the initial onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Nebraska announced the Nebraska Promise program, inspiring and motivating me to go back to college. I dropped out of college two times before choosing UNO and the BMS program. After graduating from high school in my hometown, I decided to relocate to the Omaha area and start a new chapter in my life. I earned a full-tuition scholarship to attend Bellevue University (BU), a private university in Bellevue, Nebraska. My newfound independence was met with challenges. Before moving to Omaha, I was never away from my family for more than a few weeks at a time. I had no support system in Omaha. This took a toll on my life, especially in my academics and personal life.

After only one year at BU, I was placed on academic probation and lost my scholarship. I could no longer afford to study at a private university and had to withdraw from my classes. I did not want to give up on my educational pursuits or chapter in Omaha, which led me to enroll at Metropolitan Community College (MCC) to finish my general education requirements to transfer the credits to BU. I was successful at MCC for two years – completing nearly all my general education courses. However, I could not finish the last few remaining courses at MCC due to financial reasons. This led me to drop out for a second time. Instead of finding a new school, I decided it was time for a different move. I wanted to stay in Omaha but did not want to go to school. So, I decided it was only natural to find a full-time job – my first full-time job. This also proved to be a difficult task, as I only had a high school education and limited work experience. I eventually landed a job at the Boys & Girls Club based at the Westside School District, part-time working as a Technology Programs Specialist. I was responsible for developing and facilitating technology literacy programs for students. This allowed me to form relationships with the staff and students at the school district and motivated me to pursue further employment in education. I found a passion for working with youth and technology. After six months at the Boys & Girls Club, I was offered a position with the Westside School District as an Office Assistant supporting the IT department. This is where I learned filing and paperwork not to be my strong suit. Luckily, the IT Specialist at the time was on leave and decided not to return to his job. I was offered the position and gladly accepted. After nearly four years on the job, I found myself lacking something many of my colleagues in education had – a college degree. I now found myself with a support system full of colleagues who are educators. I also found myself in a financial situation that allowed me to go back to my studies. It only made sense that I returned to school to finish my education.

"I was able to customize my degree to fit my needs and interests. In my opinion, it is truly a program designed for the contemporary adult learner."

What has been your overall experience in the program?
I have had a great experience overall. I enjoy the convenience of being able to get in touch with my advisor and getting the support I need quickly. I also value the flexibility of the BMS program. There are so many different concentrations and pathways offered. I was able to customize my degree to fit my needs and interests. In my opinion, it is truly a program designed for the contemporary adult learner.

Explain the support you have received during your time in the program?
I enjoy being able to work with my advisor on a one-to-one basis to ensure that I am successful in the program and am on track for graduation. This support has really helped to keep me accountable and committed to my studies.

Did you receive any financial aid such as grants or scholarships? If yes, please explain.
Yes, part of the reason I decided to continue my education was the announcement of the Nebraska Promise program. This gave me the motivation I needed to go back to college and finish.

What are your goals after graduating? How has the BMS program prepared you for those goals?
Currently, I plan to continue my studies at UNO in the Master of Public Administration program. The BMS program has provided me with the tools I need to be a lifelong learner. I will use my experiences and education from the BMS program to be successful as a graduate student.

What would you tell someone who is considering finishing their degree but hasn’t taken the next step?
Small steps count! I would recommend anyone thinking about finishing their degree to reach out to the BMS office. You can start by filling out an admissions application or going to the website and looking at all the different concentration options. This is what I did before I applied, now I’m all set to graduate this coming May!

Travis Vo poses in a data storage room.

View all posts

Speak Your Mind

Subscribe and stay up to date